Monday, January 14, 2008

Taste and See!

"O taste and see that the Lord is good!" (Psalm 34:8, NASB)

Every day, I read a wonderful devotional called My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers. My copy of this book was purchased in 1994 with the last $14.00 I had in my wallet. My best friend and I were unemployed and had just landed jobs when we found this precious book. Back then, I was just learning how to really read and understand the Bible and I thought My Utmost would be a perfect guide. It was the toughest book I had ever read and most of what Oswald Chambers said went right over my head! I kept reading it though, because I knew that I wanted to know who God was and what He expected of me. I am a firm believer that God knows who and what we need in our lives right when we need them.

Today, the middle section of my devotional is coming apart and every page is highligted and starred. I am so grateful that the Lord brought this book into my life because it set a standard for me to attain. This does not mean that I don't read the Bible. It means that this book was for a time, motivation for me to get more of God by studying His Word. Oswald Chambers taught in such a way that I wanted to know God as he knew Him. I wanted to be that close to God. Fourteen years later, I can say that I have a close relationship with my heavenly Father and one that continues to grow.

What I didn't expect from this journey and relationship was a greater hunger for the Lord. It's worse than any food craving! My greatest desire is to sit in His Presence all day long and even that isn't enough! There isn't enough chocolate or fried food in the world to help with this! All I can do is sit with Him, seek Him even more and love Him with all I have.

When I look at what He has done for me, I know that even seeking Him doesn't come close to giving away His Son for death on a cross. My prayers, praise and worship don't compare to ridicule, humiliation, persecution and being nailed to a cross left to die a slow death. Why should I seek Him if what I do isn't enough? Because, there is no greater love than the love the Lord has for me. Once you get a taste of Him, there is nothing in the world, not even chocolate that could satify your hunger. Once you have Him in your life, nothing and no one can take His place. God is the only way you can have your cake and eat it too!

Be blessed!

No comments: