Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Simple Obedience

"Come to me...for my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30, KJV)

As I was driving to work today, I encountered one of my travelling pet peeves (yes, a Christian with pet peeves. Thank goodness for God!) - people who cannot merge onto the highway into oncoming traffic. Now I know that it is important to be careful and respectful of other drivers, but merging smoothly and swiftly is probably the best way to be respectful to others on the road, especially if they are moving at a high rate of speed! Attempting to pick up speed or waiting until the roadway is clear are the best ways to be safe and respectful. Slowly merging or stopping and starting are dangerous and can cause serious accidents. Obedience to the flow of traffic and the rules of the road is so important for all those who are travelling.

As I slowed down for the van merging onto the highway this morning, I thought about my obedience to the Lord, especially over the last few months. I decided to surrender my life completely to the Lord a few months ago and consistently reminded myself that surrender takes both Him and me. I let Him work on me - more of Him and less of me. I disconnected the cable TV service in my home and began to spend more time with Him in prayer, Bible study and worship. I went through the wonderful process of water baptism, attended Bible study and women's fellowship at church and began to tithe consistently. The changes that have occurred in my life have been spiritual as well as physical and I am amazed and awed at what simple obedience can do! Duh!

Oh, how I have grieved Him! There must have been (and probably still are!) times when He just bopped Himself on the head because I just couldn't or wouldn't get Him. Bless Him though! He still loves me so and is not holding anything back! How sweet He is! Just as safely merging into traffic requires obedience and respect, so living life requires us to be obedient and respectful to our Lord. He created us just for that and eagerly waits for us to come to Him.

I can tell you that since I made the decisions and changes mentioned above, my life has been smoother and sweeter. There have been great changes in my mindset, my unbelief is turning into full belief and relationships that were truly difficult to be a part of are now better than they have ever been. While He still needs to work greater patience into my life (especially behind the wheel of a moving vehicle!), I can vouch for what simple obedience can bring - blessings big and small and a sweet relationship with the Lord!

Surrender and obedience are not as difficult as we make them to be. We just need to remember that life with God is life with Him, a partnership and that we do not have to live it alone.

May you be blessed!

No comments: