Monday, January 28, 2008

God's Way

"For I know the plans I have for you..." (Jeremiah 29:11, KJV)

" But when it pleased God..." (Galatians 1:15, NIV)


Surprise! That's what God says to me sometimes when an unexpected blessing or opportunity comes my way. I love that He's like that. He keeps our relationship fresh and exciting. But it also drives me crazy when He does that because that's not what I prayed for.

God has a way of giving us amazing visions of what He wants us to do in our lives and as humans we try to figure out the how in accomplishing those visions. So we pray and plan and pray and plan and cry out in frustration, repent and pray and plan some more. That thing called control (or is it impatience?) keeps getting in the way and we waste time struggling to make the visions happen.

One lesson I am learning is the daily process of surrender to His way of living. I must lay down my plans, ideas and the world's influence to watch, wait and listen for Him. I so want to run and create the vision in the ways that I know how, but this time God's vision is greater than anything I could ever do on my own. This time, I can't even figure out the how! If you read the first chapter of Galatians, the Apostle Paul talks about His transformation into a bond servant for Jesus. He simply states, "When it pleased God...," making it clear that God is in control. At His appointed time, visions will become reality. He will give us the how to our dreams and visions. How else could He get the glory?!

Lord, help me! Help me be patient. Help me watch, wait and listen. Help me stay surrendered, resting in Your promises, remembering that You are always faithful. I know You don't give visions and then take them away. Sit with me and show me what You want me to do, what You want me to know. My desire is for Your glory. In Jesus' sweet and holy Name. Amen.

No comments: