Thursday, January 17, 2008

Am I My Brother's Keeper?

"And whoever welcomes a little child like this in My Name welcomes Me. But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea." (Matthew 18:5-6, NIV)

"Jesus said, 'Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." (Matthew 19:14, NIV)

God showed me myself last night through someone else. I watched a leader in my church ask someone who had approached him to wait while the leader went to speak to someone else. I realized that I had seen this happen several times before, but last night's scene broke my heart. The person who was asked to wait went and sat at the altar and waited with a look of disappointment, discouragement and unworthiness.

I was reminded of a time when I had done something similar. I believed that I was not responsible for this person's situation because I was not God. The Lord brought me to tears and repentance last night. I wept not because of poor pitiful me, but because my sin grieved my Lord and Savior and probably someone else. Jesus told us not to turn away even the little children. It doesn't matter what my brother or sister has, doesn't have, does or doesn't do. I have been commanded by Jesus Christ to love them as I love myself. When I turn them away, I turn away Jesus.

Now, I understand that I am God's vessel and by choosing to be annoyed or unavailable to any person, I become unavailable to God. He cannot use me in my self-centeredness and I hinder Him from moving in the lives of others. What we do or don't do affects so many lives. We do not know how God plans to use us nor do we know who is watching how we live. Times will come when people will tell us how our actions have affected their lives.

I know for myself that I am always asking God to help me do great things in serving Him and others. I get caught up in my grand visions and often miss God's simple vision for those directly in front of me. I always root for the underdog and last night I realized that I don't get to choose who the underdog is. That is God's job and He gives us the gifts, talents and passion to serve those He places in front of us. How long that service is to last is His call and His alone. All the strength, patience and love we need for service comes from Him. We will not be able to handle the grand visions in our future if we are not available or willing to serve those who are given to us in the present. "When someone has been given much, much will be required in return; and when someone has been entrusted with much, even more will be required." (Luke 12:48, NIV)

When serving the Lord, we do not get to pick and choose whom we serve. As Jesus said, "The servant is no greater than his Lord." (John 15:20, KJV) As God's child, I really am my brother's keeper.

Sweet Jesus, please forgive me for turning away those whom You love. Help me to see all who cross my path as You see them and help me love them, edify and encourage them as You do. In Your sweet and holy Name. Amen.

1 comment:

Lysa TerKeurst said...

"We will not be able to handle the grand visions in our future if we are not available or willing to serve those who are given to us in the present."

Good stuff girl!