Thursday, February 21, 2008

Being Of Any Use to God

"She has done a good work for me." (Mark 14:6)

"Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!" (Matthew 25:21)

"I believe that if God finds a person more useless than me, He will do even greater things through her because this work is His." Mother Teresa, No Greater Love

My soul longs to spend every waking moment serving the Lord. I believe He has called me to touch the lives of women and children through love, compassion and hope. I don't know exactly how He will use me, but I know this is the work He has called me to do. Where I am now in my life is merely a stepping stone to the next level of service for Him.

Mother Teresa's book, No Greater Love gives us a wonderful glimpse into a life lived in humility and devotion. She loved the Lord so much that she laid down her life for Him. As I study her life, the life of the Apostle Paul and our sweet Savior, Jesus Christ, I realize that surrender and devotion are the only way to live a life of service and humility. We get so caught up in this world trying to meet the expectations of others. We will never measure up to the world's standards of living and we will never fix the wrongs of this world without God. So much time is spent trying to fit in and make people and situations fit into boxes that we miss the wonder and beauty of living; we miss the simplicity of a life with Christ.

As I live, I want to be transformed. I want to be the servant that God can look to and say, "She has done a good work for me." I want to represent Him well. I want to be used up, "broken bread and poured out wine," not when someone says I can, but right when God needs me. My life is to be lived for Him and His good pleasure, not on someone else's terms and time tables. I want to be free for God which entails complete surrender in every moment because I don't know who will need me or where I will need to go. As it is written in Isaiah 6:8, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" I want to be able to say, "Here am I. Send me."

Lord, keep me surrendered and available for Your battles. Live and love through me so that my spirit resonates Your Presence and grace. May all that people see is You. This I pray in Jesus' Name, Amen.

No comments: