Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Soooooo Big!

"Now to Him Who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us..." Ephesians 3:20 (NIV)

"God said to Moses, 'I AM WHO I AM..." Exodus 3:14 (NIV)

Have you ever read the book, "If You Want to Walk on Water, You've Got to Get Out of the Boat?" I just finished reading it and found it funny, thought-provoking and in some ways, spot-on. The last chapter of the book talks about how big your God is and starts out with an exercise or game we play with toddlers. We often ask them how big they are and their response is to raise their arms over their heads to show how big they are.

The author of this book, John Ortberg asks a question in the last chapter that left me somewhat speechless. His question was, "If your God truly is a big God and you could ask Him to do any one thing in your life, what would it be?" This question brought tears to my eyes because the things I ask of God aren't big enough for Him. It doesn't mean that I think He can't give me what I want or that my desires are insignificant. God is so much bigger than what I want! Could this be what Jesus meant when He said, "in that day you will ask Me nothing?" Could I be at a point that all of the material things I want in life aren't meaningful enough to ask for? Am I at a point in my walk with God where I know what He wants is much greater than anything I could ask or even think?

What then do we ask of God? What does He even want us to ask for? Material things, good health, wealth, peace, safekeeping, the ability to serve Him. C'mon! What else?! He's bigger than those things! When you put all of those things aside, what do you have left to ask for? Once I listed everything I wanted and put them aside, I saw a huge wide open space before me. Its vastness made me think of God Himself. He is even bigger than what I saw. All I could think of to ask at that point was for God Himself. At that point I realized He was all I needed to ask for in the first place!

How big is God to you? How big do you allow Him to be in your life? Will you let Him be sooooo big?

Dear Lord, please help my unbelief. Please increase my faith. Help me to know You and all that You are. Help me put my trust in You and You alone. I know the desires of my heart are important to You because I am important to You, but God, may Your will be done! Today, I am taking the lid off my little box of desires and dreams. Be soooooo big Lord!

No comments: