Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Not My Own

"You are not your own, you were bought at a price." (1 Corinthians 6:19, NIV)

Simple Godly commands versus human nature = the reason for Jesus.

Every day, I want to be more like Christ. Every day I want to be broken bread, poured out wine and used up by my Lord and Saviour. And every day, my self gets in the way. My soul longs to love and nurture people all day long, give them hope and help them know Jesus. I want to live my life as the Apostle Paul and Mother Teresa did, totally devoted to the Lord, knowing nothing else but Jesus Christ and Him crucified. But I also want my comforts of clothing, shelter, food (especially ice cream and chocolate!), nice furnishings, a new car, the bills paid and all of my dreams my way.

Daily I commit my all to serving the Lord and every day, my self gets in the way. Thoughts pop into my head that center around my needs, wants and desires and I begin to fret because I am not where I want to be or don't have what I think I need. The previous sentence reflects that. Look at how many "I's" are in that sentence! Yikes! Me, me, me, me, me! God must really love me to save me and give me a calling and a hope. Look, there I am again!

Thank God, the Lord loves me enough to save me from myself! My human nature always seems to be begging for attention. God tells me not to worry, not to be anxious and to seek His kingdom and its righteousness for every day living. His Word is full of commands for living that I read, yet still seem to struggle with.

Lord, keep me surrendered. Remind me that I am not my own, but Yours to use in whatever ways You see fit. Have Your way and move me to do for Your kingdom and Your purposes. May Your will be done this day and may You and only You receive all the glory, honor and praise! In Jesus' Name I pray, Amen.

No comments: