Monday, April 9, 2012

Changing My Story

Back in January, I watched Oprah interview Viola Davis just before the Oscars. Davis shared her personal story of growing up poor in Rhode Island and the struggles she had with being a member of the only black family in her town. Much of her story resembled mine. She reminded me of a deep sadness I had growing up of never being good enough or being perceived as ugly or stupid. Every day I was challenged to prove myself to be better or just as good as everyone else around me.

Since this interview, God has perked up my ears so that several times a week I have come across an interview, an article, book or seminar about life stories. The stories we have been telling ourselves or telling others about ourselves have brought us to where we are in our lives today. For some that can be a great place and for others, not so great. Some of our stories have been beautiful and true, others have been painful lies.

This process has helped me discover and listen for the stories I have been telling myself over the years. Many of them have been downright lies, painful truths and stories that really belong to someone else. I discovered that I no longer have to tell myself these stories and that I can tell and live different stories. Along with God's Word, I need to speak words to myself that are life-giving, edifying, encouraging and empowering.

Today it is time for new stories to be told about my physical appearance and weight, my life's purpose and vocation, my dreams and goals, my true worth and beauty. It is time for me to receive and be all that God has for me. It is time for me to let go of the stories that no longer work and speak that I am beautiful, powerful, strong courageous, passionate, compassionate, loving, worthy, bold and confident.

As God says in Isaiah 43;18-19, "forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland."

I am looking forward to the new things that God is and will be doing in my life. Some changes will be painful and some will require me to take risks, but knowing they could lead me to fulfilling my God-designed life and purpose, makes changing my stories worthwhile.

Perhaps God has new stories of truth about your value and worth as well as the plans He has for you. Why not take the time to listen to the words you say about yourself to yourself and to others. Slight changes of positive truth could lead you to a better place of joy, truth, freedom and whatever else God has in store for you. I encourage you to try.
Be blessed,
Monica

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come." 2 Corinthians 5:17

No comments: