Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Letting Go for Greater - Abraham

"Now the Lord had said to Abram: 'Get out of your country, from your family and from your father's house, to a land that I will show you. I will make you a great nation; I will bless you and make your name great; and you shall be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and I will curse him who curses you; and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.' Then Abram took Sarai his wife and Lot his brother's son, and all their possessions that they had gathered, and the people whom they had acquired in Haran, and they departed to go to the land of Canaan." Genesis 12:1-3, 5 NKJV

Abram and his family embark on a journey that requires them to let go of all that is familiar and comfortable to them. The Bible does not tell us if Abram questioned God. It just says he did what God commanded. If God commanded you to leave all you have known, your beloved comfort zone would you go? What if He asked you to let go of your dreams, goals and plans for the future? Would you say "yes"?

At the beginning of this year, I felt that my "word" for the year was "new." Never did I expect the power that would come from studying examples of that word in the Bible and how it would change my life. Throughout the year I have asked God to bring new into my life and He has brought me to places where I have had to make the decision to follow Him or remain where I was. Today I am slowly letting go of who and what no longer serves the life God has called me to live.

This new way of living has been difficult as I am accustomed to having an explainable plan in case someone asks, and I don't have one. Not having a plan of action or goals looks like a blank piece of paper to me, but I am discovering that this blank space can represent nothing or the whole world is possible. That space can be perceived as bondage or freedom. But in this season of life I am applying the instruction, "be transformed by the renewing of your mind" (Romans 12:2) and viewing that blank space as an adventure.  Where will God lead? Who will come into my life and what relationships will be no more? How will I grow in Him? How much more of Him will I come to know? Normally I would be a wreck and remain stuck, but this time I have decided to pursue the longings in my heart.

Over the next few weeks, I will share what God is teaching me on this journey to a new life in Him, what it means to let go, how to follow Him and practice the art of receiving. So I am stepping into the new with nervous anticipation, wonder and gratitude. I hope you will join me, and if God is urging or leading you into something new please share your lessons and discoveries.

May you be blessed along the way.

Monica

No comments: