Thursday, May 8, 2008

Why God

"And I will walk among you, and will be your God, and ye shall be my people." Leviticus 26:12

Those who do not know the Lord, ask how and why Christians believe in Him. When I look at what He has done in my life and in the lives of other Christians, I can't help but believe in Him. Issues have been resolved, unexplainable blessings have been received and miracles have occurred. None of these could have been accomplished by human hands, only by faith and the power of God.

I have been faced with a challenge or what I would call a challenge and finally met it head on the other day. I was accepted into grad school via an online program with a prestigious Christian university. I am so excited about the opportunity to learn and deepen my faith in the Lord. My biggest fears were paying for school and managing it with work. I have a job that I am grateful for but am not crazy about. I finally shared with my boss, who is also my father, this great opportunity for school. The sharing part went well, but I was finally faced with what to do about a career. I have been praying and asking God to make a way for me to go to school full-time and provide the financial means to pay for it and my personal needs over the next three years. My desire is to focus fully on my school work and some other opportunities that God has laid on my heart.

Over the past two weeks, 2 Corinthians 5:7 ("For we walk by faith, not by sight.") has been repeated many times in passages I have read or in conversations with friends. Some have even said, "If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat!" I am once again at a point where I have to trust God in a mighty way to open doors and bless as He sees fit. Yes, some of the changes and opportunities require effort on my part, but the impossible or miraculous can only come from God. What some people call fate or luck, Christians know is the grace, love and power of Almighty God.

When you are faced with challenges that you have no idea how to resolve or get through and suddenly an opportunity or resolution appears that no human could have performed, you know it has to be God! When doors open and your dream is handed to you so smoothly and effortlessly, it can only be God. When your dreams are achieved, needs are met in greater ways than you planned or expected, it's because God's hand was in it. There is nothing any human can do without the grace of God. We have power, abilities, talents, skills, creativity, wisdom, knowledge and strength because of our Creator. We didn't give any of these to ourselves. He gave us these attributes as gifts for the sole purpose of using them for His glory. God isn't selfish. He, like us, just wants to be received, recognized, accepted and loved.

If you have dreams in your heart or circumstances that you don't know how to handle or resolve, make an attempt to ask God for help. He will help if you ask. You don't have to be perfect. He already knows what we have done or not done and what our intentions are. Almighty God just wants His children, the human race, to trust Him and love Him, and He in turn will bless us in amazing ways.

Lord, there are so many of us who do not know You, are afraid of You or don't believe in You. Forgive us and help us to see You as we need to. Help us come to You with all that we have. Teach us to trust You. Show us how to believe in You. Help us receive Your love and grace. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

No comments: